Home » Theatre Information
The Carriageworks is a forward-thinking venue that nurtures theatre-makers and develops the audience for live performance in Leeds and Yorkshire.
Situated in the Electric Press building, at the heart of Millennium Square , the theatre showcases the best national and international touring productions, and has quickly established itself as a key destination for audiences looking for an entertaining, inspiring and adventurous night out.
At the same time The Carriageworks gives extensive support to artists in the north to help them grow and develop their work.
The theatre also offers high quality facilities for festivals and conferences to organisations looking for an inspiring and centrally located setting for their event.
There are two performance spaces. The Main Auditorium is a proscenium arch theatre with a capacity of 350, and caters for larger-scale productions. Upstairs@thecarriageworks is an intimate and flexible studio space with a maximum capacity of 65, and hosts an innovative selection of fresh and exciting new work.
The Carriageworks Bar on Level 2
Our theatre bar provides spectacular views overlooking Millennium Square. Enjoy a drink before the show, during the interval or after the curtain has fallen. To avoid queuing during the interval, orders may be placed before the show starts. And there’s no need to rush your drinks – ask for a plastic glass at the bar and you can take them into the Auditorium.
History of the Building
The Carriageworks is located on the first floor level of the Electric Press Development on Millennium Square, Leeds. Overlooking an historic glass-roofed and heated courtyard which in early Victorian times was the home of the ‘West Riding Carriage Manufactory’.
Stansfield Chambers Grade II listed) which was built in 1848 and housed the West Riding Carriage Manufactory, from which theatre takes its name; and Portland Chambers which was built towards the end of the last century.
These buildings were occupied by a variety of tenants over the years up until 1999 when all remaining tenants were relocated to enable Leeds City Council to market the buildings as a development opportunity.
The Electric Press Development incorporates The Electric Press building (Grade II listed) which was built in 1894 and was used by Chorley and Pickersgill as a printing works.
Statistics about this website are available from SiteImprove.